M0010 Top End Rebuild Part 3

So coming home one night, my TA started overheating and was smoking from antifreeze leaking all over my exhaust manifold. I had blown a head gasket on the passenger side.

If I was going to go through all the work to replace the head gasket I figured I might as well upgrade the top end while I was doing it.

This post is shows the removal the the old heads and the installation of the new heads, cam, and water pump.



^ About to take off the heads.




^ My brother taking off the head that had the blown head gasket.




^ The far left cylinder was where the head gasket was compromised.




^ The head that had the blown head gasket. Far right was the cylinder where the head gasket was compromised.




^


^ Old and new.


^ The other side. The anti-freeze is what leaked out of the head when we took it off.




^




^Sans-Heads.




^Old


^ A view you can only get with a car with a shaker.




^ Chasing threads to get all the gunk out.




^ Gasket surface cleaned up.




^




^My brother putting on the pass. head.




^




^ Torquing them down to spec.




^




^ The Intake is just sitting on top for effect...Not bolted down yet.



^



^Removing the old timing chain.



^ Out comes the old cam.



^




^Front of block cleaned and painted, also new cam and new "Zoom" brand timing chain in.




^




^ Stripping down the old timing chain cover.




^Putting the fron back together with a new water pump and ARP bolts. everything painted to match.









© 2007-2013 Steve Palaia. All rights reserved.